Friday, April 8, 2011

Affordable Remote CART? Web CAPTEL?

I was recently checking into prices for Remote CART for myself, so I can use it during a couple large meetings per week. I was astonished when I saw the price quotes come in at around $100/hour.

I have previously used Sprint Web CAPTEL for meetings that I can dial into via phone, but I found that participation in these meetings is nearly impossible. The captions get so far behind what is being said that if someone asks me something, I cannot see the captioned question until long after. This seems due to the nature of conference calls, versus one-on-one conversations where there is typically time to catch up (while I would be talking).

Not sure if I randomly chose remote CART companies that are pricey, or if that's really how pricey it is. Does anyone have any other suggestions for live meetings and conference calls?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use this one: www.nextalk.net - I use it for conference calls with voice carry over. You could also check out www.nextalk.com. But I use www.nextalk.net.

Warner said...

I am deaf I work with American Network. I want to tell you that American Network has provide PhoneCaption is very fantastic features than other company. You can visit website www.phonecaption.com is Free.
I believe that it is great for u use one.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

CART is expensive but effective if you like receiving your messages verbatim. However, if you need faster translation, I suggest VRI (video remote interpreting). And if you don't sign but read lips, ask for an 'oral interpreter' - (interpreter repeats dialogue but in a way that is crystal clear to the lipreader) www.deafaccess.com is the vendor I use for VRI and remote CART. Both are also accessible from the i-Phone. Good luck.

* said...

video remote interpreting sounds like the best option...best of luck!
p.s. i live in south nj and am Deaf and your blog is awesome!

Krafyn said...

Another option is remote CAN, which provides meaning-for-meaning captioning. It is not verbatim, but it is often very close. I have provided this service for years over the Internet and am now using Skype with great success. And my rates are much less than $100 an hour!

JoeBob said...

I use educaption.net for remote cart at work. They caption meetings for me at least once or twice a week. The cost is very close to $100 per hour but I find the assistance so invaluable and my company pays for it. Is it an option for your company to pay for it rather than yourself?

Hanh Doan said...

I am a remote CART provider and am willing to negotiate rate. Contact me if you're interested!

hdoan83@hotmail.com

james atel said...

Nice information in your blog if anyone is looking for a Best remote video interpreting services then visit us at http://video-interpreter.com